Friday, February 8, 2013

The Plot, Smart Pots and Dragon Carrots


Following more advice from My Square Foot Garden I made a plan using Excel.  I also used her companion planting guide which I highly recommend and can be found here.  It's very easy to use and was a big help figuring out what should be planted where.


There's also early and late crops which get rotated but I have yet to tackle that beast.  It is, after all, only February.

I sourced a lot of the seeds that I want to use at Seed Savers Exchange which is a reputable source for hard to find heirloom varieties - their catalog is here.  I will not end up getting all of my seeds from their site - the ones I just planted were from my local garden center - but there are a few which I would have a hard time finding locally like the Mexican Sour Gherkin, Parisian Pickling cucumbers and Dragon Carrot.  Others are more readily available, often organic or at least heirloom and almost always cheaper at local stores.  The catalog is still a great resource for unique heirlooms and I have to stop myself from purchasing six different kinds of everything.  Their descriptions are also wonderful and give an idea of the final taste as well as all the other pertinent growing information.

The Mexican Sour Gherkin - seedsavers.org

Organic Parisian Pickling Cucumber - seedsavers.org

Dragon Carrot - seedsaver.org

I decided to do all of the herbs in containers at my house for easier access when I'm cooking.  I've been looking around at different options and I know I want something inexpensive and also portable so I can make the most of my available light.  I came across the Smart Pot which you can find here and it's probably my first choice.  It seems like a large felt bag with handles for $10 per 3 gallon pot - which seems a little steep but it is very lightweight and also has handles for easy transport.

  
I'm curious if anybody has firsthand experience with these pots and if they are worth the investment?  They have another product which looks intriguing called the Big Bag Bed which is a circular raised bed made out of the same material.  I saw a video of the bed here on YouTube and it looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment